Wednesday, March 9, 2016

"Uganda" be kidding me we thought...

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20 

So 4 months ago when we were more consistent bloggers (please forgive us!) we talked about choosing love and joy in a world of darkness. In a recent study of Isaiah 61, God revealed the beautiful visual of a festive praise instead of despair. I couldn't get through the study without thinking story by story the life our women live in the village. With nothing to their name, contaminated water, little food, and no medicine for their many illnesses. they still choose to reflect the Light, they still choose courage, they still choose joy, they still choose hope... and it all starts with Jesus. They come many miles to sit on the dirt ground on a tarp under a tree with their Bible in their lap thirsting for His Word, His promises, and His love. The Two for ONE Purpose women may say that we bring hope to the dark places of Uganda, but we are moved every day in seeing them bring the hope, joy, and love of Jesus.

In a complete state of transparency, I can assure you that I still struggle with being chosen. I give thanks every day that God called me to this job and this life but over a year later, I still feel like He has too much to teach me to be an effective leader to these women. I recently heard a sermon that spoke to me-- "There is more inside of you that God can use than your mind can comprehend." I walk in trust knowing that He has made me for MORE and that I can do anything He has called me to.

Times I doubt this are especially when I am on the other side of the world hurting, confused, and trying to comprehend a tough situation that makes no sense because of the cultural differences. Last November we found ourselves in a low. Actually, the lowest most desperate place we have ever been in while living in Uganda. The days were long, the questions were big, the sadness was present, the inability to understand was bigger than ever. In the last post, we requested prayer as we were navigating through some muddy waters in the midst of a storm. We were betrayed by someone we were very close with. As an American living in a poor country you are looked at as rich rich rich (little do they know we don't get paid to do this & they would be sad to see our bank accounts). That is why you hear the Ugandan men yelling for you as you walk down the street, why you see the children running after you, and it goes on and on. They see us as a symbol of hope, money, and a dream/America. It's devastating really that they are missing out on the hope of the Cross, instead, and something we will never get used to. With that said many are out to get our money and try to take advantage of us whether it's something small that we see everyday, like increasing their prices when they see us coming. This was different and without getting into all the details, just know it was a tough time that seemed to never end. In a foreign country where there are so many cultural and communication barriers, things don't tend to be so black and white. It was an emotional roller coaster everyday waking up to new deceit, and many unanswered questions. It lasted about a month and to be honest there were many days I questioned whether I could get through another day over there or if I needed to come home.

Those days I wondered if I was enough. If I was capable of leading well despite having a broken heart. If I could love well despite having been betrayed by a close friend. The Lord taught me something in those days. It wasn't up to me. The results are up to Him. My job is to be obedient. He was with me every step of the way and because of Him we were still able to accomplish more that month than I could have ever thought. That month the women made 1,000 bracelets and everyday made money from that, which would cover basic needs to get by. For this, we praise our great God and are blown away by what He has done through this ministry.

At the heart of Two for ONE Purpose are the stories. We love to hear how God is moving through the women that make us this community, this family. As I will soon be back in my "happy place" get ready for some of those stories. Stories of salvation, prayer requests, love, and God's hand in all of it.

As I mentally prepare to head back out to Uganda tomorrow, Matthew 25:45 consumes my thoughts... "And He will answer, 'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'" My prayer is when things get hard after months in a third world country, alone (Amanda, I'm going to miss you!), my God will make it ever so clear every morning why He has called me to do what He has. I know that God is continuing to teach me to trust. Trust even when the bottom falls out,  the hurt comes, and feel lonely on the other side of the world, I will remember I am not alone!

Please pray with me for this challenge that lies ahead working with the women on my own, please pray for Amanda as she continues touring with the Sozo Choir in the US, and please pray that God uses us to advance His kingdom while touching the lives of anyone we come in contact with whether here or there.

Made for MORE,
Chelsie

No comments:

Post a Comment