Thursday, September 24, 2015

for the Love


"Caring for orphans isn't easy. It isn't the glamorous, photographic moments that we all like to share. It's not all cute, little checks and cuddle sessions on end. It's not full of 'gotcha' moments and happily ever afters. It's daily giving yourself to another human so that they might know love. It's heartache and tears, hugs and break throughs. But it's real life, and we need more people who will say 'Yes!' to the fatherless and daily die unto themselves."

I have now been in Uganda again for just over 1 month. How can that be? The overwhelming emotions of constant love, unending joy, and supernatural peace have once again engrossed me in this place. But to be honest it has not been easy every day. This time there are 10 Americans here at Sozo doing similar work. This is very different from our first 5 months here, at the beginning of the year, when it was me & Amanda and only 2 others. I have been reminded of how much I love my alone time. But at the same time community is vital when you're doing life on the other side of the world. There are times when you're worn and exhausted ... I look at one of our little girls and ask for some loving and she shoots a sassy look and walks off. Kids are kids. Sometimes I feel like I'm a referee calling the shots as to which kid deserves the time on the iPad as they fight it out. Many days we are constantly busy doing chores around the Sozo homes serving the staff and taking as much off their plate as possible- i.e. Amanda and I 'Uganda mop' (bent over at the hip or on our hands & knees) a huge outside porch every morning followed by other chores for a couple hours. There are many rules for our safety this time and many days you want to get off the compound but it's not allowed. Some days I just pray my car would appear here and I could jump in it and GO! Drive myself to where I need to get. Maybe in my next life in Uganda...

When I landed in Uganda I didn't waste any time getting the jewelry making process started with the women in the village once again. This time they flew through the making of 300 more TwoforOnePurpose necklaces and bracelets. With the selfless help of some of the other missionaries we watched the women knock out the project in no time. Amanda & I were immediately able to pay the women their money earned from the extra profits received from the selling of the jewelry this summer. Like last time, we received tight hugs and sweet kisses of thanks....along with a 90 year old dancing a dance of JOY! Always a favorite day of mine seeing the proud smiles on their faces!

Don't forget their jewelry is sold in the Sozo store in Birmingham. These women are gaining necessary resources thanks to their job at Sozo Women and your purchase of their jewelry! In October the women will begin working on the new jewelry design and we are so excited to soon share pictures of these new bracelets with you.

Being back for Round 2, I'm once again thankful that God gave me another push out the door. Because after all "if we only do what we're familiar with, we might miss what we've been made for." Every day over here I am renewed with a joy and peace and an overwhelming love for our Father. Even on the hard days.

I am still learning that it's okay to live a life that others don't necessarily understand. It's not about living the "perfect" life. It's about simplifying real life to make time for what matters most.  There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind. The work we do here is for the love... of the Father.

Please pray for our health, deepened faith, fellowship, and ministry. We love you all and miss you already!

John 15:17 "This is my command: love each other."



Made for MORE,
Chelsie & Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment